Henry Dalgarno ROBINSON (1873-1954)
Henry Dalgarno Robinson (1873-1954), known as Harry, was the nephew of Eugénie Sladden and the cousin of Jack, May, Kathleen, Ethel, Arthur, George, Cyril and Juliet Sladden.
Harry was born on 30th June 1873 at Marshgate House, Richmond, the only son and second of four children of Frederick Dalgarno and Mary Anna Robinson. He attended a small pre-preparatory boarding school in Deal, Kent, where he was at the time of the 1881 census. After leaving school, Harry trained as a civil engineer, and was working in Portland, Dorset, in 1901. By 1911, he was back in Richmond living at Marshgate House with his mother; he described his profession as civil engineer (not practising).
Harry was very involved with The Church Lads’ Brigade, which was the Anglican churches own uniformed youth organization, founded in 1891. The Brigade is still in existence today, although it is now known as The Church Lads' and Church Girls' Brigade (CLCGB). The Brigade movement was popular with the churches because it prevented a massive loss of Sunday School members when they reached 13 years old and started work. The Government, at a time of international insecurity, saw it as a source of military cadets who could be called upon when required. In 1911 the CLB became recognized as Cadets by the War Office, meaning that it was now part of the Government’s Territorial Cadet Force. Drill with rifles, military manoeuvres and inspections were commonplace. Thousands of CLB lads joined up to fight for their country as the Great War started.
Harry was involved with the Southwark Regimental Division of the Church Lads’ Brigade which, in 1909, was about 800 strong and had its summer training at Milford-on-Sea. Colonel J H S Craigie was in command with Harry as quarter-master and correspondent. There are many references to Harry’s work with the CLB in the letters written by his mother.
In April 1915, Harry was appointed temporary captain in the 6th East Surrey Regiment.
Harry never married. He died at 7 Pembroke Villas, The Green, Richmond, on 28th November 1954, aged 81.