Whilst there is a mention of Rosa Perkyn as early as 1332 in the Lay Subsidy Rolls and, three centuries later in the parish registers, William Perkins baptised at Badsey in 1643 and Mary Perkins married in 1670, it was not until the 19th century that members of the Perkins family began to settle in Badsey. There are no incidences of the name in Wickhamford.
Perkins Family 1 – Charles Perkins (1811-1902) and Descendants
Charles Perkins (1811-1902)
The first reference to Perkins in the 19th century parish registers is in 1834 when Charles Perkins married Elizabeth Morris of Badsey in St James’ Church. Their first-born son, Eli, was baptised at Badsey but, just over a week later, he was buried at Bretforton where the Perkins had made their home.
Charles Perkins (1811-1902), a labourer, had been born at Bredons Norton in September 1811, the son of Cordelia Perkins. He was baptised at Bretforton and it is believed he grew up there. After marrying at Badsey, Charles and Elizabeth spent the rest of their lives at Bretforton, where Elizabeth gave birth to a further ten children: Eli Morris (1836-1912), Charles (1838-1850), Israel (1842-1921), William Christie (1844-1903), Albert (1846), Anne Mary (1848), John (1850), Charlotte (c1853), Sarah Ann (c1855) and Charles (c1859). Elizabeth died at Bretforton in 1896 and Charles Perkins in 1902. Charles and Elizabeth’s son, Israel, lived in Bretforton all his life, but the Valuation Survey of 1912 reveals that he occupied land in Badsey on the north side of Bretforton Road.
It was Charles and Elizabeth’s granddaughters, Charlotte Emily Perkins (1877-1922) and Amelia Louisa Perkins (1881-1969), daughters of William Christie Perkins (1844-1903) and Elizabeth Perkins (1849-1927), who re-established a connection with Badsey. Charlotte married John Albert Crane at Bretforton in 1898 and Amelia married his brother, George Henry Crane, at Bretforton in 1902. Both Crane families, however, settled in Badsey where they raised large families.
Albert William Perkins (1871-1952)
In 1909 the sisters were joined in Badsey by their eldest brother, Albert William Perkins (1871-1952). Albert had married Mary Dicken from Willenhall, Staffordshire in 1894 in the Aston district. They had two sons, both born at Erdington: William George (1895-1965) and Albert Charles (1897-1960). In 1901 they lived at 30 Gravelly Lane, Erdington, where Albert was a railway platelayer. They returned to Worcestershire in December 1909 when Albert Junior enrolled at Badsey School; their address was given as Bretforton Road. In September 1910, Albert took on the tenancy of just over an acre of land, called Portway, on the Bretforton Road, owned by James Ashwin (in 1920, the tenancy was transferred to his younger brother, Jacob). By 1911, both Albert and his two sons were working as market gardeners, their address being given as Old Road (thought to be No 11). Information in the Parish Magazines of the First World War period reveal that Albert served overseas. On 24th June 1918, Albert took the opportunity to buy this cottage and the other three cottages adjoining from Frederick Hooper. In April 1919, according to an entry in Charles Binyon’s diary, he was elected to the Committee of Littleton & Badsey Growers. Mary died at Fair View, Blackminster, in 1946; probate of her will was granted to her husband. Albert died at Northampton (where his eldest son lived) in 1952, but was buried at Badsey beside his wife. Probate of his will was granted to his son, William, in 1952.
- Albert Charles Perkins (1897-1960), the younger son of Albert and Mary Perkins, spent his early childhood years in Birmingham, attending Lea Road School, before enrolling at Badsey Council School in December 1909. He left school in May 1910 and began working as a market gardener for his father. In 1924, he married Badsey girl, Georgina Mildred Jinks, in the Fylde district of Lancashire. They had two children: Mildred Mary (1930-1930) and Charles Albert (1931-2004). The grave for four-month-old Mildred is in Badsey churchyard. Albert died at Old Post Office Lane, Badsey, in 1960. An appreciation in the Parish Magazine of October 1960 said: “Albert Perkins had been in bad health for many years. He had lived in Badsey from boyhood. A keen sportsman in youth, his later illness was brought on through his having been gassed and twice wounded in the Great War. He had been in and out of hospital again and again these last few years, and received Holy Communion at home.” From a deed of 4th March 1958, it would appear that Georgina became the tenant for life (presumably because of Albert’s ill-health) and on 5th March 1958 conveyed one of the cottages (No 17) to her younger son, Charles. Albert and Georgina were then living at No 15. Georgina died at Old Post Office Lane in 1967.
- Charles Albert Perkins (1931-2004), only surviving child of Albert and Georgina, married Sheila Geraldine Godwin in 1953. Sheila had been born in London, but came with her parents and two older sisters to Worcestershire during the Second World War. Charles and Sheila had two daughters. On 5th March 1958, No 17 Old Post Office Lane was conveyed to him. In about 1966, Sheila’s parents settled in Badsey, her mother Ivy dying in 1976 and her father Walter dying in 1987. They moved into a chalet which was erected on the land which their son-in-law owned (on the corner by the footpath). Charles owned the old houses on Old Post Office Lane, Nos 11, 15 & 17, with the land stretching as far as the footpath. He sold the land at the end on which No 21 was later built, and later sold the houses, and had a bungalow, Willonest, built for him and his wife (more or less on the site where his parents-in-law’s chalet had been), probably in the 1980s. Sheila died in 2003 and Charles died in 2004.
John William Perkins (1903-1990) and Leonard Wheatcroft Perkins (1912-1976)
In the mid 20th century, two more descendants of Charles Perkins (great-grandsons) came to live in Badsey. John William Perkins (1903-1990) and Leonard Wheatcroft Perkins (1912-1976), born at Bretforton, were the sons of John Charles Perkins (1878-1963) who was the older son of Eli Morris Perkins (1836-1912) who was the oldest surviving son of Charles and Elizabeth Perkins. John married Julia Louisa Moisey at Badsey in 1930. They lived in Badsey for most of the 1930s at Vine Cottage, Chapel Street, before moving to Warwickshire; their eldest daughter attended Badsey School for a time.
Leonard’s name appears in Eliza Stanley’s Midwife’s Register for 1912; five of his siblings were also delivered by Mrs Stanley. Leonard married Marjorie Allard at Badsey in 1957. Leonard died in 1976 in the Worcester area but was not buried in the parish. Marjorie died at 2 Silk Mill Cottages, Badsey, in 1989 and was buried at Badsey, in the same plot as her parents.
Perkins Family 2 – Frederick Perkins (1844-1890) and Descendants
Frederick Perkins (1844-1890)
In the 1860s, another family by the name of Perkins came to live in Badsey, not thought to be related to the above family.
Frederick Perkins, was born Frederick Perkins (1844-1890) married Badsey-born Elizabeth Harris in St James’ Church in 1863. He had been born at Bengeworth, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Perkins.
Frederick and Elizabeth’s first son, James Frederick, was born at Bengeworth in 1864, but all their other children were born at Badsey: Louisa Jane (1865), Thomas John (1868-1869), Thomas Henry (1870-1874), Frederick George William (1872-1939), Elizabeth Jane (1875-1875), Charles John (1877-1940), Thomas (1880-1948) and George (1883-1883). Four of the children died in infancy. In 1871, they lived at Sharps Row with Elizabeth’s father and sister, John and Selina Harris. A newspaper report of 1870 tells of the breaking in of a dwelling house. During the 1870s, some of the cottages at Sharps Row were demolished, including theirs, so by 1881 they were living next to the Boarding School (current-day Badsey Hall), in a thatched cottage where The Rock now stands.
Frederick Perkins died in 1890, aged 44. His widow, Elizabeth, was living with four of her children in Bakers Lane in 1891; this was a cottage which had been built about 1866 and was demolished in about 1970 (No 12 School Lane is on the site). Elizabeth was described as a market gardener. Her eldest daughter, Louisa Jane, married George Edwin Jones at Badsey in 1892. In 1901, Elizabeth still lived in the same cottage, with Charles and George; her granddaughter, Ellen (James and Hannah’s eldest daughter) was visiting her. In 1911, it was just Elizabeth and her son, Charles, and a grandson, Fred. The following year they moved to 4 Cotswold View (40 Willersey Road). Elizabeth, known to local children as “Granny Perkins”, died in 1930, 40 years after her husband.
James Frederick Perkins (1864-1930)
James Frederick Perkins (1864-1930), the eldest son of Frederick and Elizabeth, married Hannah Crump at Badsey in 1887. In 1891, they lived at Thomas Cull’s Cottages, Bretforton Road, with their young daughter, Ellen. James and Hannah had seven children in total: Ellen Elizabeth (1890-1979), Ethel Mary (1891), Frederick (1894-1915), James Thomas (1896), John (1898-1966), Maggie (1899) and Louisa Hannah (1903). James was obviously a good singer as he was singled out for special mention in a parish magazine article of April 1905. The children attended Sunday School; Maggie was mentioned in April 1905 for winning a prize. James, John and Maggie were mentioned in a parish magazine article of September 1905 for winning races at the Sunday School tea. John and Maggie again won races in July 1907. In 1901, James and Hannah were living at what is now called No 7 Orchard Way with five of their children, and uncle James Harris, an army pensioner. In 1911, they lived there with their five youngest children; Ellen, the eldest daughter, was a servant at Malvern College, whilst Ethel, the second daughter, was a servant at Selsley Hill Farm, Stroud, for farmer, Albert Fowler. Ethel married George Frederick Groves at Badsey in 1916 and James married Lilian Ada Dolloway at Badsey in 1920 (James had been recorded on the Absent Voters’ list for 1918/19 as still serving with the Worcestershire Regiment). James Perkins is listed in the Valuation Survey for 1912 as occupying an “old brick and thatch cottage in poor repair” (Orchard Way) and land at Francis’ Grave. The Perkins lived at Orchard Way until 1921 when they moved into a new Council House at 5 Synehurst. Their youngest daughter, Louisa, married William Thomas Harman at Badsey in 1929. James died at Badsey in 1930 and Hannah in 1948. They are buried in Badsey churchyard. Their son, Frederick, who died in 1915, is also remembered; however the stone has been incorrectly inscribed saying that he died in 1916, whereas in fact he died a year earlier.
- John Perkins (1898-1966), son of James and Hannah, was a market gardener’s labourer in 1911. As a market gardener who worked for George Lees-Milne of Wickhamford Manor, he applied for exemption from military service in 1916 but his application was refused. Information in the Parish Magazines of the First World War period reveal that John served overseas as a Gunner. John married Elsie Dorothy Heming in 1922. They had three children: Frederick Charles (1922-1945), Sylvia (1927-1927) and Kathleen Mary (1927). They lived at 5 Synehurst with John’s parents. Elsie died in 1944 and John in 1966; their grave is in Badsey churchyard. Their only son, Frederick Charles, who died of wounds in Burma during the Second World War, is also commemorated on the gravestone; he is also commemorated on the war memorial. National Farm Survey records taken during the Second World War reveal that John grew potatoes and fruit on his market garden land and had two pigs and 28 chickens. After his wife’s death, John married again at Badsey in 1949 to Sarah Alice Hiatt. Sarah died in 2006 and is buried in the churchyard.
Frederick George William Perkins (1872-1939)
Frederick George William Perkins (1872-1939), the second surviving son of Frederick and Elizabeth, married Ellen George in 1891. They had one son and four daughters: Edith Annie (1892), May (1894), George William (1897-1971), Mary (1901) and Elsie Ellen (1906). In 1901 they lived at Cotswold View (present-day No 13 Sands Lane). In 1911, they were living at Lindwood Villas (23 Chapel Street); this address appears in the Valuation Survey for 1912. In 1901, Frederick had been a market gardener’s labourer but, in 1911, Frederick was by now a market gardener working on his own account. Their son, George, a market gardener, appeared before a military tribunal in 1918; he was not exempted so joined the RGA. He married Florence L Russell in 1920 and went to live in Swindon. By 1924, Frederick and Ellen were living on Bretforton Road. At some stage they moved to Swindon where their son had moved; Frederick died in 1939 and Ellen in 1943.
Charles John Perkins (1877-1940)
Charles John (1877-1940), the son of Frederick and Elizabeth, never married. Charles was listed in the Valuation Survey as occupying an old timber and tile cottage (cottage that once stood on the site of the current-day 12 School Lane) and occupying land adjoining the Badsey to Willersey Road. Charles appeared before a military tribunal in 1916. He was granted exemption as he had 4½ acres of land and his mother was dependent on him. He died in the PA Institution, Evesham, and was buried in Waterside Cemetery, Evesham, in October 1940; the ceremony was conducted by Canon Allsebrook of Badsey.
Thomas Perkins (1880-1948)
Thomas Perkins (1880-1948), youngest surviving son of Frederick and Elizabeth, married Ellen Elizabeth Chamberlain in 1902. They had five children: Frederick Thomas (1903-1976), Francis Charles (1904-1993), George Ernest (1908), Constance Lilian May (1912-1975) and Horace David (1924-2006). In 1911, they lived in what they described as Blenheim View Cottage (No 25 Old Post Office Lane); Thomas was a market gardener’s labourer. In 1912, however, the Valuation Survey stated that they occupied a cottage adjoining Blenheim Cottage. By 1916 he was working as carter for Horace Wheatley, butcher; Mr Wheatley sent in an application to the military tribunal to try and get his employee exempted from military service. Tom is mentioned in Ted Wheatley’s memoirs of village life. In 1920, Thomas and Ellen moved to a new Council House at 15 Synehurst (the present-day No 29). Constance appears in a Badsey School class photo of 1920. Constance had a daughter, Mavis Muriel, in 1930. Constance married Ronald Percy Rouse at Badsey in 1933. Thomas and Ellen remained at Synehurst for the rest of their lives, Thomas dying in 1948 and Ellen in 1962.
- Frederick Thomas Perkins (1903-1976), eldest son of Frederick and Elizabeth, married Edith Nellie Rock. They lived at 3 Synehurst. Edith died in 1973 and was buried at Badsey but there is no gravestone. Frederick died at 24 Alexandra Road, Evesham, in 1976; he was buried in Bengeworth Cemetery but there is no gravestone.
- Francis Charles Perkins (1904-1993), son of Thomas and Ellen, married Florence Nellie Smith in 1931; they had two daughters, one of whom has been identified in VJ party at the Mill in 1945. Francis is mentioned in an exchange of letters between Don Wasley and Roy Page. Florence died at Manor Close, Badsey, in 1983 and Francis died at St James Close, Badsey, ten years later; their grave is in Badsey churchyard.
Perkins Family 3 - Frank Perkins (1886-1965)
At some point in the 20th century, a third Perkins family came to live in Badsey. Frank Perkins (1886-1965) married Daisy Hannah Chatterley in 1915 and they had two children. They spent all their married life in Birmingham. In 1939, they were living at 12 Tetley Road, Birmingham. They most likely moved to Badsey when Frank retired. He died at Greystones, 20 Brewers Lane, in 1965 and was buried at Badsey. Administration of his will was granted to his widow. After his death, Daisy moved away from the village and died at Worcester in 1976.
- Fred Perkins, aged 9 of High Street, Badsey, wrote a letter about market gardening in 1933. He describes his father as having three grounds and there being seven people in the family.
- Position in League Table: 8 (Badsey top ten 1900s)
- Name origin: A patronymic from the personal name “Piers or Pierre” through the later Peter or Peterkin, introduced into Britain at the Norman invasion of 1066, and also by the Crusaders of the 12th century on their return from the Holy Land. It consists of the basic “Per” with the two additive diminutives, “kin”, indicating close relationship, such as son, or nephew, and the plural “s”, a shortened form of “son”. An occasional secondary origin is from the French “parc” – an occupational surname for a keeper of royal hunting grounds, known as “The Parks”.
- Total number of Badsey baptism records: 25
- Total number of Badsey marriage records: 10
- Total number of Badsey burial records: 23
- Total number of Badsey census records: 78
Mentioned in Publications
- A Brief History of Badsey and Aldington - p 81, Dick Perkins in class photo of 1920.
- Heads and Tales: A History of Badsey Schools – p 18, A E Perkins of Worcester appointed architect of the school in 1847; p 40, compensation paid to Elizabeth Perkins; p 53, copy of 1900 punishment book with John Perkins’ name listed; p 65, Edith Perkins passed labour exam; p 175, Elsie E Perkins awarded scholarship but not accepted.
- Digging for a Living – p 50, F Perkins won 1st prize at Asparagus Show in 1913.
Peace, War & Remembrance: The Great War in Badsey, Aldington & Wickhamford – p 18, L Perkins, member of Evesham Territorials; p 66, Charles John Perkins granted exemption from military service on account of being the sole breadwinner and needing to support his widowed mother, Elizabeth; p 89, James Thomas Perkins serving with the Worcestershire Yeomanry; p 106, Ellen Perkins undertaking belladonna cutting.
Maureen Spinks, June 2019