Skip to main content

WILSON - Badsey top ten 1700s; Wickhamford top ten 1500s-1600s

The name Wilson first appears in Wickhamford parish records in 1543; Wilsons lived in Wickhamford for over a century.  From the mid 17th century, Wilsons lived in the neighbouring parish of Badsey.

Family 1 - Wickhamford

The first mention of the name Wilson in Wickhamford records is when Henry Wilson, son of Henry Wilson died.  Henry Wilson Senior (?-1558) had at least four sons and two daughters:  Henry (?-1543), Thomas (1546), William (1546-1621), Edward (1550), Elizabeth (1554) and Jane (1557-1559).  Henry died at Wickhamford in 1558.

  • Thomas Wilson (1546), son of Henry, married Alice Binman at Wickhamford in 1577; they are thought to have then left the village.
  • William Wilson (1546-1621), son of Henry, had two sons and five daughters:  Jane (1573), Dorothy (1574), Dorothy (1576), Henry (1579), Frances (1582-1586), Elizabeth (1583) and Thomas (1589-1645).  William Wilson died at Wickhamford in 1621 and was buried in the churchyard; administration was granted at Worcester.
    • Henry Wilson (1579), son of William, had at least one son and one daughter:  William (1603) and Alice (1606).  He then seems to have left Wickhamford.
    • Thomas Wilson (1589-1645), son of William, had a daughter, Jane, in 1609.  The Wickhamford manorial court records reveal that Thomas Wilson paid homage at the manorial court in the 1630s and, in 1632, he is recorded as exchanging land with Thomas Booker.  Thomas Wilson died at Wickhamford in 1645 but, at the manorial court over a year later, no one knew what heriot was due because of the length of time since his death.

Family 2 - Wickhamford

Richard Wilson, a husbandman, lived in Wickhamford from at least the 1630s until his death in 1659.  It is not known how he is connected to the other Wickhamford families.  He was married to Alice and had at least two sons and two daughters:  Elizabeth, Thomas (c1631-1679), Alice (1638), John (1642-1722).  Alice and James were both baptised at Wickhamford.  It is possible that Elizabeth and Thomas also were, but the early 17th century parish registers are unreliable; various different scribes made entries throughout the century, and there are gaps, eg for 1629-1635, where there are no entries at all.  The Wickhamford manorial court records reveal that Richard Wilson appeared at the homage for the first time in 1641.  He had earlier been fined in 1638, when not at the homage, for taking up “the pound hedge”.

In his will of 1658 when he described himself as being “weak and sick in body but of good memory”, Richard’s beneficiaries were his widow, Alice, and his children, Elizabeth (wife of Richard Baton of Chipping Campden), Thomas and John.  Richard may also have had a son, James, who was buried at Badsey in 1640, and a son, Richard, baptised at Badsey in 1645 (though this Richard is not mentioned in the will, so he may have died).  Richard died at Wickhamford in 1659; his will was proved at Canterbury.  It is not known when his widow, Alice died.

  • Thomas Wilson (c1631-1679), eldest son of Richard and Alice, is believed to be the Thomas Wilson who signed a 1000-year lease on Badsey Manor House – see below.
  • John Wilson (1642-1722), son of Richard and Alice, married Elizabeth and moved to Badsey where it is believed his elder brother had just acquired Badsey Manor House – see below.  In the 18th century, John Wilson (1723-1753) lived in Wickhamford; John is thought to have been the grandson of John and Elizabeth.

Family 1 – Badsey:  Thomas Wilson (c1631-1679) and Descendants (Lords of the Manor of Badsey)

Thomas Wilson (c1631-1679), Lord of the Manor (1687-1689)

Other than the baptism and burial of two children of Richard Wilson in the 1640s, the first incidence of the name Wilson in Badsey was the baptism of Edward Wilson, son of Thomas Wilson, in 1663.  Thomas Wilson was possibly the son of Richard Wilson of Wickhamford who died in 1659.  According to the age at death given on the ledger in Badsey Church, Thomas was born about 1631, which would have made him the right age to be Richard’s son; this was a period when no entries were made in the parish registers.

Thomas married Katherine around the early 1660s.  They had two children, Edward (1663-1749) and Mary (1667), both baptised at Badsey.  In 1677, Thomas Wilson signed an agreement which gave him a 1000-year lease on Badsey Manor House, the title and rights of Lord of the Manor, and other land, including Badsey churchyard, thus beginning almost a 250-year association.  Thomas did not have long to enjoy his title as Lord of the Manor as he died in 1679, aged 48.  His widow, Katherine, died in 1714, aged 81.   They are buried in the chancel in Badsey Church. Thomas' will was proved at Worcester.

Two remarkable things about the Wilson family was their fondness for the name Edward and the number of wives they married. The descendants of Thomas Wilson were:

  • Edward Wilson 1663 – 1749 (1 wife)
  • Edward Wilson 1691 – 1737 (3 wives)
  • Edward Wilson 1720 – 1761 (1 wife)
  • Edward Wilson 1748 – 1797 (3 wives)
  • Edward Wilson 1793 – 1837 (1 wife)
  • Edward Wilson 1820 – 1907 (4 wives)

Edward Wilson (1663-1749), Lord of the Manor (1679-1749)

Edward (1663-1749) became Lord of the Manor at the age of 16 on the death of his father, and thus was Lord for some 70 years.  Edward married Elizabeth Lawrence and they had two sons and one daughter:  Edward (1689-c1689), Elizabeth (1689) and Edward (1691-1737).  In 1708, Edward bought land from William Grove.  Elizabeth died in 1722, aged 68, and Edward in 1749, aged 86.  Their son, Edward, pre-deceased his father, so the title of Lord of the Manor passed to Edward’s grandson.  Edward and Elizabeth are buried beside Edward’s parents in Badsey Church. Edward's will was proved at Worcester.

Edward Wilson (1691-1737)

Edward Wilson (1691-1737) pre-deceased his father so never became Lord of the Manor.  Edward married Elizabeth and had three daughters and a son:  Elizabeth (1716), Mary (1719), Edward (1720-1761) and Sarah (1723-1758).  Edward’s wife, Elizabeth, died in 1724; there is a ledger by the altar in Badsey Church.  Edward then married Eleanor, but Eleanor died in 1727, aged 35; there is a ledger in front of the altar in Badsey Church.  Edward then married for a third time, to Esther, who bore him two daughters, Esther (1733) and Catharine (1735-1738); an entry in the Baptism Register against Catharine’s names says “Mr Edward Wilson Junior”.  Edward died in 1737 and was buried beside his first wife in Badsey Church, with a ledger by the altarHis will was proved at Worcester. It is assumed that his widow, Esther, left the village, as she was not buried at Badsey.

Edward Wilson (1720-1761), Lord of the Manor (1749-1761)

Edward Wilson (1720-1761) became Lord of the Manor in 1749, aged 29, on the death of his grandfather.  Edward married Mary Brookes in 1747 at Broadwell, Gloucestershire.  They had three children:  Edward (1748-1797), Francis (1750) and Mary Anne (1759).  Edward died at Badsey in 1761, aged 40.  His will was proved at Worcester. He is buried in Badsey Church; there is a ledger partly obscured by choir stalls.  Edward’s widow, Mary, died in 1777, aged 58, and is buried beside her husband.

  • Francis Wilson (1750-1822), the second son, was nearly 11 when his father died.  As the second son, he did not succeed to the title of Lord of the Manor, but it seems that he was given some land from the manorial estate:  35 acres at Offenham.  This was the first time since his great-great-grandfather, Thomas Wilson, acquired the Manor in 1677, that there had been more than one son to pass land on to.  Francis moved to Worcester.  He had one son, Edward, born about 1781 at Worcester.  By an indenture of March 1806 (WRO, BA 7775, Ref 705:273, Parcel 14, 33), Francis Wilson gave to his son, Edward, the land at Offenham (now Blackminster in Badsey).  This comprised a meadow by Bretforton Brook; three closes shooting into Offenham Lane called part of Yeates’ Estate; a barn, stable, cowshed and fold yard and two pieces of arable land and one piece of meadow ground adjoining the barn and fold yard.  Francis died at Kempsey in 1822. His will was proved at Canterbury.
    • Francis’ only son, Edward Wilson (c1781-1860), married Sophia Montague in 1808 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster.  They had no children.  The 1841 and 1851 census, when they were living at Kempsey, reveal that Edward was a Captain in the Army on half pay.  Edward died in 1860.  In 1861, widowed Sophia was living in Kempsey at Hill House with her three nieces, Sophia Evans? (39), Ann Angle (27) and Victoria Angle (22), the nieces all born in Bath, Somerset; Sophia Senior was described as a Proprietor of Houses.  As Edward and Sophia Wilson had no children, the land at Offenham passed firstly to Sophia on Edward’s death, and then to her two nieces, Mary Angle and Victoria Montague Angle.  Sophia died in 1861.  The land was sold in 1863 and thus was the first piece of the manorial land acquired in 1677 to pass out of Wilson hands.

Edward Wilson (1748-1797), Lord of the Manor (1761-1797)

Edward Wilson (1748-1797) became Lord of the Manor on the death of his father in 1761 at the age of 12.  He married Mary Ashwin in 1772.  We know from a will made by their son, Francis, in 1798, that a farm at Honeybourne was acquired as part of the marriage settlement.  In 1774, Edward sold an orchard on Mill Lane for £63 to Joseph Smith, miller (it is possible that Joseph may have been a kinsman of Henry Smith, the widower of Edward’s aunt Sarah).  Edward and Mary had three sons and two daughters:  Edward (1773-1773), John (1774-1798), Francis (1775-1798), Mary (1777) and Elizabeth (1780-1789).

Mary died and Edward married again, in about 1783, to Mary Sheaf and had three children, none of whom survived:  Sarah (1786-1792), Edward (1789-1789) and Edward (1791-1792).  Mary died in November 1791. A poignant ledger in front of the altar in Badsey Church records Mary's death and that of her three children.  Edward Wilson had been very unfortunate, with only three children out of eight still alive (John, Francis and Mary), but John and Francis were shortly to die in adulthood.

Edward married for a third time to Mary Darrill in August 1792.  Mary had grown up next-door to the Manor House at Harrington House, as her mother, Mary (née Jones), had inherited Harrington House in 1762 at the age of 21.  Having failed to produce a surviving male child called Edward by his first or second marriage, Edward’s third wife, Mary, gave birth to a son and heir in May 1793:  Edward (1793-1837).  Twin daughters, Ann and Sarah, then followed in 1794, but Ann died aged six weeks. In 1792, Edward was one of several people who donated money to the church in order that a bassoon might be bought.

Edward Wilson died in 1797 whilst his children were still very young; he was buried beside his second wife and children who had died in infancy.  By his will, Edward gifted to his son, Edward, property at Badsey; to his daughter, Sarah, property at Badsey Green; and all other property to his eldest son John, subject to an annuity of £20 to his widow Mary and in default to his son Francis.  

After Edward’s death, Mary Wilson gave birth to an illegitimate daughter, Ann, in March 1798.  Nine months later, Mary married farmer John Coombe at St Martin, Worcester, and went to live with him and her two surviving children at Bretforton; they were living there in 1806 when Mary’s sister, Ann Darrill, made a will and mentioned Mary and her children.  Mary and John Coombe do not appear to have been living in Bretforton at the time of their deaths.

  • Francis Wilson (1775-1798), a yeoman, died in February 1798; there is a ledger in Badsey Church where he was buried.  Francis Wilson’s will was found in 2000 in the attic of Malvern House.  It reveals that Francis was entitled to a third part in the house and farm at Honeybourne which had come into the Wilson family as the result of his parents’ marriage in 1772; he bequeathed this to his two surviving siblings, John and Mary, together with the remainder of his estate following the payment of certain legacies.
  • Sarah Wilson (1794-1857), Edward’s daughter by Mary Darrill, inherited cottages at Badsey Green (Brewers Lane).  Sarah married John Sheaf at Badsey in 1817.  John Sheaf was the census enumerator for Badsey and Aldington in 1841.  In 1840, Bentley’s Directory tells us that Mrs Sarah Sheaf kept a preparatory school.  The school which Sarah Sheaf ran for a short time seems to have been for a few very young scholars.  The 1841 census reveals that there were three four-year-olds staying in the house.  The exact address where John and Sarah Sheaf were living in Badsey with their younger daughter, Margaret, and the three scholars and a servant, is difficult to tell from the 1841 census, as the enumerator did not list the houses in order, but it is believed that they probably lived in a part of the Manor House.  Sarah’s brother, Edward Wilson (1793-1837), had died in 1837, but his widow and two of his children still lived in part of the large house and probably needed to rent out part of it.  In 1851, John and Sarah Sheaf were living at Cleeve Prior.  It is probable that Sarah’s nephew, Edward Wilson, and family, may have lived with them for a time for a time in the mid 1850s as Edward’s son was born at Cleeve Prior and his first wife died there.  Sarah Sheaf died at Badsey in 1857, aged 63, and was buried at Badsey where all her Wilson forebears had been buried. 

John Wilson (1774-1798), Lord of the Manor (1797-1798)

John Wilson (1774-1798), Edward’s eldest surviving son by his first marriage, was very briefly Lord of the Manor following the death of his father and inherited the bulk of the manorial estate.  John died in July 1798, aged 24; there is a ledger in Badsey Church.  Neither John or his brother, Francis, who had died just a few months earlier, were married or had children so the property reverted to their five-year-old half-brother, Edward Wilson.  John's will was proved at Canterbury.

Edward Wilson (1793-1837), Lord of the Manor (1798-1837)

Edward Wilson (1793-1837) was aged only five when he became Lord of the Manor, having inherited the title from his elder half-brother, John.  After his father’s death in 1797, his mother remarried the following year, and they went to live in Bretforton.  Edward joined the 172nd Company of Royal Marines as a Second Lieutenant in 1813.  Edward kept a diary of his travels for the period 1813-1816 (at The Hive in Worcester), during which period he was a member of the garrison which guarded Napoleon in exile on St Helena and travelled to Madras, Ceylon and the Cape of Good Hope.  A sword which belonged to Edward Wilson is still in the possession of the Wilson family (owned by Margaret Palk, the great-great-granddaughter of Edward Wilson).

Edward inherited all the Wilson land, then gained more land at the time of enclosure in 1815.  However, he had to take out a mortgage of £2,500 in 1816 with Francis Wilson (his uncle who lived in Worcester).  It is possible that he used this money to make substantial changes to the Manor House, which had presumably been let out to tenants after his mother’s remarriage.  At the beginning of the 19th century, the front of the house was totally altered, the oak timbers being covered with a render; the passageway through the middle of the house was filled in and became a bay window, the whole of the front of the roof was remodelled, and a small extension was built on the north-east corner of the house.  The changes were either made by Edward’s father shortly before his death, or by Edward shortly before his marriage.

Edward Wilson was back in Badsey in October 1817 when he was a witness at the wedding of his sister, Sarah.  Edward married Sarah Osborne at Overbury in 1818.  They had one son and five daughters all baptised at Badsey:  Edward (1820-1907), Selina Maria (1822-1825), Emily Sarah (1828-1912), Selina Sophia (1830-1848), Matilda Osbourne (1833-1911) and Ann Stephens (1836-1836).

On 6th July 1825, Edward was appointed to the Portsmouth Division of the Royal Marines.  The Wilsons by this time were experiencing a number of financial difficulties and part of the Manor House was let out.  Edward took out a mortgage with the Reverend Edward Ward Wakeman on 1st June 1833, with an advance of £1000 and £300.  By 1837, Edward was home in Badsey.  He became a churchwarden on 30th March 1837 but died intestate later that year aged 44.  Edward had retired on half pay, so his widow was not entitled to a widow’s pension.  Sarah wrote to the Admiralty in London for financial assistance and was granted £10 for each of her three daughters, but her son, then aged 17, was too old to qualify.  Edward was buried in Badsey Church and his name appears on a ledger beneath that of his grandparents, together with his two daughters who died in infancy.

Sarah Wilson was still living at the Manor in 1841, together with her 20-year-old son, Edward, and nine-year-old daughter, Matilda.  She was still in Badsey in 1844 when she was bound to appear as a witness against John Watkins, Charles Watkins and Joseph Watkins for burglary.  By 1851, Sarah had set up home on Bridge Street, Pershore, with her two daughters and a servant.  Edward was married and living in Birmingham, so the Manor House was let out to tenants.  Sarah died at Pershore in 1857 and was buried at Badsey, although her name is not recorded on any memorial.  Sarah left everything in her will to her daughters, Emily and Matilda. 

Edward Wilson (1820-1907), Lord of the Manor (1837-1866)

Edward Wilson (1820-1907) became Lord of the Manor a few months short of his 17th birthday.  He was living in Badsey in 1841 with his widowed mother and youngest surviving sister, Matilda, in 1841.  After Edward Wilson Senior’s death, the Wilsons appear to have been getting deeper and deeper into debt.  Despite his money problems, Edward bought five cottages at The Leys (knocked down about 1950; Hither Green is now on the site) for £350.  A mortgage was taken out with William Edge in 1843 maintaining mortgage of £1300; a further loan of £350 in 1843, £200 in 1848, £150 in 1850, £550 in 1856 from Elizabeth Acton of Worcester, £200 in 1860 from Reverend Sammuel Garrard, £385 in 1864.  Edward’s obituary written in 1907, describes him as “in his early life he was an active business man and at various times filled the principal offices in the village, being for a considerable period Guardian for the parish and a churchwarden”.  He was a sergeant in the Worcestershire Imperial Yeomanry.

Edward married Sarah Roberts Taylor in 1848 and had a son Edward, born in 1849, who died at just six days old.  In 1851, Edward and Sarah were living at 4 Victoria Terrace, Hockley, St George, Birmingham, Edward described as a Land and House Proprietor; Sarah’s mother, Amelia, was visiting and five-year-old Charlotte Gee (the daughter of Edward’s cousin, Sarah Sophia Gee, née Sheaf), also lived there, and one of the servants was Emma Sears, daughter of Bonner Sears of Badsey.  Edward and Sarah had a daughter, Sarah Amelia, born at Horndon, Worcestershire, about 1852 and had another son, Edward Joseph (sometimes known as Joseph Edward), born in 1855, at Cleeve Prior.  From about 1855-1858 when living in Cleeve Prior, the Wilsons were possibly living with Edward’s aunt, Sarah Sheaf.  Sarah Wilson died at Cleeve Prior in November 1856; she was buried at Badsey but there is no memorial to her.  It seems that Sarah’s mother, Amelia, continued to stay with her son-in-law after her daughter’s death, as Amelia’s address was given as Owden Farm, Cleeve Prior, at the time of her death in 1857.

In 1861, widower Edward was living at 19 Kingston Place, Cheltenham with his two young children, Edward and Sarah; he was described as a landed proprietor.  In 1862, Edward Wilson married Elizabeth Potter in Cheltenham.  Elizabeth had been born at Worton, Wiltshire about 1828, the daughter of Thomas and Hester Potter; Thomas was a yeoman farmer at Lutsey Farm.  It was in 1866 that Edward decided to put all the manorial land and property up for sale.  He and Elizabeth were then living at 4 Rosslyn Villas, Cheltenham.  Everything was sold bar the Manor House and adjoining orchard, and so the Manor House continued to be let out to tenants.  It was whilst in Cheltenham that Edward was a sergeant in the Cheltenham corps when the volunteer forces were first raised.  In politics, he was a staunch Conservative.  By 1871, Edward and Elizabeth were living at Longford St Catherine, Gloucestershire.  Edward was described as an Innkeeper at The New Inn; his 15-year-old son, Edward, also lived there.  Elizabeth died there in 1875.

Edward married for a third time to Ann Kate Holland in 1878 in Cheltenham.  In 1871, Ann had been the Licensed Victualler at the Sudeley Arms, Portland Square, Cheltenham, assisted by her sister, Ann Mary Stone, and her niece Lavinia Ashcombe.  By 1881, Edward and his third wife, Ann, were back living at The Manor House, Badsey (Ann’s sister, Ann Mary Stone, had taken over the running of the Sudeley Arms).  He was described as a retired publican.   Ann died at the Manor House, Badsey, in December 1885; her gravestone is in Badsey churchyard.

Keeping up the family tradition of marrying several times, 69-year-old Edward married Emma Knight in 1889.  By 1891, Edward and his fourth wife, Emma, were living at The Manor, together with his son, Edward, daughter-in-law, Emma, and their children, Minnie and Edward.  Edward Wilson died in 1907 and was buried in Badsey churchyard.  As he was no longer Lord of the Manor, he was the first in his family not to be buried in the chancel. By his will of 1903, proved at Worcester in 1907, after leaving his household effects to his wife, and certain specific items to his son, the house was to be sold and the proceeds divided; his son, Edward, who occupied a part of the Manor House, was to be allowed to live there for three months rent free after his father’s death.  Edward’s obituary described him as “a man of considerable bearing, kindly and courteous, he was held in the highest esteem by everyone who knew him, and his familiar figure will be greatly missed by the inhabitants of the village.”  A large number of villagers were present at his funeral at Badsey.

Less than two months after Edward’s death, the Manor House was put up for sale and was bought by Edward’s sister, Matilda Wingfield, and her son, John Tutin Wingfield, for £880.  The December 1907 Parish Magazine said:  “We look forward to the time when Mr Wingfield may possibly come into residence at the Manor House and take his part in the public life of the village which has been for so many generations the home of his ancestors.”  John enthusiastically set about restoring it, his most dramatic change being to the front of the house changing it to something like its appearance in Tudor times.  John, however, never did come to live in Badsey and sold the house in 1913. 

Edward's widow, Emma, died at Badsey in 1932 and was buried beside her husband.

Edward Joseph Wilson (1855-1936)

Edward Joseph Wilson (1855-1936), son of Edward and Sarah, never became Lord of the Manor as his father had sold the title in 1866.

Edward married Emma Farman in 1880; she had been born at South Littleton in 1863.  At the time of the 1881 census, Joseph, as he was referred to, and his young bride, were staying with his sister, Sarah, and family in Gloucester.  Edward and Emma then went to live in Manchester, USA, for a few years where Minnie Ethel (1882) and Edward Sherman (1885-1909) were born.  By 1891, they were back living in Badsey with Edward’s parents at the Manor.  Edward and Emma then went on to have two more sons:  Joseph Cecil (1894) and Thomas John (1896-1972).  Emma Wilson was Caretaker and Cleaner at Badsey School for nearly 40 years until her retirement.  After the death of Edward’s father, Edward and Emma had a new house built on Bretforton Road.  Edward, described as a market gardener of Badsey, signed a conveyance with Edward Hughes, builder, on 31st December 1907, buying a plot of land measuring approximately 45’ x 155’ for £80.  Edward Hughes of Norton was the father-in-law of Edward Wilson’s nephew, Alfred Carter, and presumably a friend of the family, as he had been one of the mourners at Edward Wilson Senior’s funeral.  Cherry House was built in 1908 (possibly by Edward Hughes) and remained in the Wilson family until 1980.  Edward died at Badsey in 1936 and was buried in Badsey churchyard.  Edward had already gifted Cherry House to his daughter, Minnie, in 1929.  Minnie then sold the house in 1937 to her younger brother, Thomas, for £600; her mother, Emma, moved to Minnie’s home in Cheltenham where she died in 1938.  Emma was buried beside her husband at Badsey.

Thomas John Wilson (1896-1972)

Thomas John Wilson (1896-1972), son of Edward and Emma, served as a Private in the First World War.  The Parish Magazine of May 1918 reported that he was a prisoner of war and that communication had been received from him.  Tom married Rosina May (known as May) Stanley in 1928 in the Shipston district.  They had one daughter born at Badsey in 1930.  Tom and May lived firstly in a bungalow at the end of Badsey Fields Lane, and then bought Cherry House in 1937 from Tom’s sister, Minnie.  Tom died in 1972.  May remained at Cherry House until 1980 when she sold it and when to live with her daughter in Nottinghamshire where she died the following year.

Tom and May were the last of the Wilsons to live in Badsey, Tom’s ancestors having first moved to the village over 300 years earlier.

Family 2 – Badsey:   John Wilson (1642-1722) and descendants

John Wilson (1642-1722) is believed to have been born at Wickhamford in 1642 (see above), the youngest surviving son of Richard Wilson, husbandman.  After his father’s death in 1659, he was to receive his inheritance on attaining the age of 21.  John married Elizabeth and had four sons and four daughters, all baptised at Badsey:  Jane (1680-1680), Richard (1681), John (1682-1686), Thomas (1683-1727), Jane (1685), Elizabeth (1688-1715), John (1690) and Sarah (1692).  John died at Badsey in 1722, his wife, Elizabeth, having pre-deceased him in 1716. Elizabeth was buried in Badsey churchyard. John's will was proved at Worcester.

  • Richard Wilson (1681) married Sarah and had four sons and five daughters:  John (1719), Elizabeth (1720-1722), Jane (1721), Richard (1724-1794), Thomas (1725), Sarah (1727-1727), William (1730), Sarah (1733-1742) and Elizabeth (1735).  Neither Richard nor Sarah was buried at Badsey; it is thought that they moved to London.
    • Richard Wilson Junior (1724-1794) lived in Mile End Old Town, Stepney, married and had three children:  William (1758-1818), Ann (1762) and Elizabeth (?).  In the last decade or so of his life, Richard inherited property in Badsey from Hannah Wilson, the widow of his first cousin, Samuel Wilson.  This was ten old enclosures amounting to just over 32 acres in various parts of the village:  Hollywood Villa, Vale Cottage on Old Post Office Lane, Briar Croft, Condercup Meadow, Abrahams Well Close and Meadow.  As he did not live in Badsey, he rented them out.  Richard, a sack maker, died at Stepney in 1794.  In his will of 1793, he left the property in Badsey to his son, William.
      • William Wilson (1758-1818) never lived in Badsey but inherited property there on the death of his father.  He rented out the property and land and, in 1797, took out a mortgage for £1,000.  In 1801, William was advanced a further £350.  In 1815, when the Badsey Enclosure Commissioners made their awards, he owned just over 32 acres and was allotted a further five pieces of land, primarily in Hadshill Field, north of the Bretforton Road; he also exchanged two of his old enclosures for other pieces of land, making his total acreage in Badsey just under 75 acres.  William married Rhoda Dines in 1786 at Althorne, Essex; they had one son, William George (1788), born at Aldgate, London.  William was a Silk Mercer and lived at the Minories in the parish of St Botolph, Aldgate.  William died intestate in 1818; probate was granted to his widow.  Rhoda died in 1835 at Portsmouth. 
        • William George Wilson (1788).  William inherited the estate in Badsey after the death of his mother in 1835 but, because of his father’s intestacy, it took several years to sort out.  In 1837, extracts were taken from parish registers and on 2nd June 1842 William’s aunt, Ann Angold, made a sworn declaration.  The mortgage of 1797 was still outstanding (an indenture of 1827 stated that the security stood at £2,032 10s).  William was then free to sell the estate in Badsey, which he did so on 29th July 1842 to James Ashwin (whose father had first taken on the tenancy of the land in 1819) for £3290 10s.
    • Thomas Wilson (1725) married Betty Tomlins at Badsey in 1767. 
  • Thomas Wilson (1683-1727) married Ann and had four children all born in Badsey:  Hannah (1714-1714), Ann (1716), John (1721-1721) and John (1723-1753).  Thomas died at Badsey in 1727 and Ann Senior in 1728, leaving two young children.  Their grave is in Badsey churchyard. Thomas' will was proved at Worcester.
    • John Wilson (1723-1753) married Anne Mason and moved to Wickhamford.  John was churchwarden at the Church of St John the Baptist, Wickhamford, in 1749. John died at Wickhamford in 1753 and Anne in 1776.  They had no children, so the beneficiaries of John’s will were his wife, Ann, his sister, Ann Mason, and various nieces and nephews; the beneficiaries of Anne's will were her sister, Mary Hide, and nieces and nephews.
  • John Wilson (1690-1740) married Elizabeth and had a son, Samuel (1725-1779).  John Wilson of Tewkesbury is mentioned as Trustee and Overseer of the Will of Edward Wilson of Badsey in 1737; John was the first cousin of Edward’s father, Edward.  John died at Tewkesbury in 1740; his will was proved at Canterbury.
    • On 22nd February 1749, Samuel Wilson (1725-1779), described as of Gloucester and a mercer, signed a indenture with James Wood of Gloucester, mercer, and Nathaniel Jeynes of Tewkesbury, gentleman, concerning premises in Badsey (Birmingham City Archives, MS 3197/ACC 1919-025/280251) – this was ten old enclosures amounting to just over 32 acres in various parts of the village:  Hollywood Villa, Vale Cottage on Old Post Office Lane, Briar Croft, Condercup Meadow, Abrahams Well Close and Meadow.  This may well have been some kind of dowry as on 18th March 1749, Samuel Wilson married Hannah Wood at St Michael’s Church, Gloucester.  Samuel was a churchwarden at St Michael’s Church, Gloucester, at least in 1759.  Samuel died at Gloucester in 1779 and his widow, Hannah, in 1789.  Samuel's will was proved at Canterbury. As they had no children, after Hannah’s death, the estate at Badsey was inherited by Samuel’s cousin, Richard Wilson (1724-1794), the son of his Uncle Richard (1681).

Statistics

Mentioned in Publications

Maureen Spinks, May 2019